Senator Larissa Waters is seeking a Media Adviser to manage media strategy and its implementation.
The Media Adviser will build the Senator's profile and manage the relationship between the Senator and the media by providing advice about messaging and strategy, developing story ideas, producing materials and developing relationships with the media in Canberra and locally. Media work will be focused largely but not exclusively on the Senator's portfolio areas which are currently climate change, environment & biodiversity, mining & resources and women. This position will involve regular travel to Canberra for all Parliamentary sitting weeks (approx. one in every three weeks) and irregular hours.
The Media Adviser is part of a four‐member electorate office staff based in Brisbane, as well as linking into the national Greens MPs communications team.
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 and conditions are outlined in the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Collective Agreement 2012-2015. The salary package is supplemented by an electorate staff allowance in recognition of the long and irregular hours and other special features of this position. Starting salary: $73,431 plus $18,988 Electorate Staff Allowance. Generous employer‐sponsored superannuation of 15% is also offered.
Position type: Full-time, 1-year contract.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide key media and messaging advice, strategy and implementation.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy for the Senator - as part of a broader communications strategy and office strategy - which encompasses mainstream media and niche online and offline publications, to improve the Senator's profile.
- Liaise with media (field requests, develop and manage relationships with journalists, producers etc).
- Proactively develop stories and pitches to a wide variety of news and lifestyle media in print, online and broadcast.
- Write and distribute media releases, statements, media packs, and opinion articles.
- Prepare for, advise on and manage regular media activity (e.g. weekly radio interviews).
- Prepare, develop and manage media events: media conferences, joint media events, etc.
- Manage the Senator's social media pages with assistance from other members of the team.
- Highly developed written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or experience in media relations or as a journalist.
- A demonstrated understanding of the Australian media and political landscapes and sound knowledge of Australian Greens' policies.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work as part of a small team, under time constraints and strict deadlines, with a minimum of supervision.
- Familiarity with MS Office suite, Outlook and with social media platforms.
A probationary period of 3 months, with the option of extending by a maximum of two months, will apply. All employees are expected to sign a confidentiality and code of conduct agreement and undergo a police records check.
To apply for this role, please prepare an application, including:
- a cover letter of no more than one page,
- a response to the selection criteria of no more than two pages, and
- a resume.
Please submit your application to Catherine.Garner@aph.gov.au with the subject line ‘Media Adviser Application' by 5pm Monday, September 5, 2016.